Sunday, June 8, 2014

Our One Year Anniversary


Today is our one year anniversary! I can’t believe how fast this year has gone.

Before we got married, we had several people tell us that if we got through the first year, we would be set for life. They gave us the impression that our first year would be fighting and conflict nearly every day. I’m very happy to say this was NOT the case for us. Granted, neither Michael nor I are confrontational people, so I’m sure that helped us a lot through this first year of our marriage.

Honestly, I have never had a better year in my life. Being married has really helped build my testimony of the Plan of Happiness. Though a year really isn’t that long, I understand now why marriage is such a crucial step in our progression towards the celestial kingdom. Not only is the sealing covenant the pinnacle of the covenants we make here on earth, but being married in general compels couples to develop Christ-like qualities. Let me explain….

Selflessness -I think being selfless is one of the major qualities that is developed due to marriage. I am constantly thinking of Michael’s well-being. It is no longer just about me.

Service- Being married gives me the opportunity to give service every day of my life. Even if they’re simple things like making dinner or doing dishes so he doesn’t have to.

Patience- Ah, patience. Marriage is all about learning to be a unit, rather than two individuals. This can only be obtained through patience. Some of my weaknesses are his strengths, and vice versa. It takes patience to help each other develop stronger attributes in those areas.

Love- Of course, this is the obvious one. In my marriage class, we have discussed what true love actually means. We decided that it means we love every side of the person, not just loving them for what you want them to be, or only focusing on the aspects you like the most. My love for Michael increases each and every day. It causes me to think about Christ, and the perfect love He feels for each and every one of us. It truly is unfathomable.



No comments:

Post a Comment